Sunday, August 22, 2010

Memory Monday: Extreme Weather

Yesterday I was challenged by a fellow genealogist at Olive Tree Genealogy on 'Sharing Memories: Extreme Weather'.   I don't have a lot of memories from my early childhood...it's frustrating sometimes to 'not remember'.  But since this is one of my few childhood memories I couldn't help but take her up on her challenge.  It was January or February 1949 in Los Angeles California - my brother was in 1st grade and I was in kindergarten.

It seldom does anything more than rain for a few days in southern California but my brothers and sister and I woke up to SNOW.  I'm not sure I had ever seen snow before.  The schools were closed....and Jimmy and I were allowed to bundle up and go play outside with the other kids.  I'm sure there were snowball fights and snowman building but I remember specifically someone with a sled.  I find it hard to believe that there was enough snow on the ground long enough for anyone to go sledding, and I KNOW there was no hill to sled down.  Kids seems to make the best of what they get....and we all had fun while it lasted.  Wish I had a picture!

Memories are a legacy we can leave for our children and descendants.  We are their ancestors.  Don't let the memories get lost.  If your memories are few, like mine, it's even more important to write down the ones you do remember.


Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2010, all rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how the weather affects our lives. I grew up where snow didn't stop school or work or other things. I don't ever remember a snow day when schools were closed.
    I do remember pogonip. Everything would be covered with white shining ice crystals. It was so pretty especially when the sun was shining on it.
    As an adult I remember the winter after Mount St. Helens erupted. For three months the sun didn't shine and it was cloudy and foggy that whole winter.
    Thanks for triggering a lot of memories for me with your post of your memory.

    ReplyDelete