Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cookies Anyone?


Yesterday, Friday May 21, 2010, was the first day this year that Phoenix broke the 100F degree mark.  Typically Phoenix manages to hit the 100 mark earlier in the month of May... I am sort of hoping a late show will mean a cooler than normal summer - "dream on!" I'm told.  Normally I don't mind the heat until it gets over 110F but then it can be brutal - especially when we get the monsoons and it's pouring rain and hotter than hades (well maybe not 'hotter than' but close to it!)

Recently I found this recipe idea in a U.S. News and World Report (within an article titled '10 Ways to Reduce Your Summer Utility Bills'

Try baking cookies on your car--yes, your car. Nicole Weston of Baking Bites developed a method of baking chocolate cookies with the heat that collects inside cars on steamy days. She suggests parking in the sun, using a thermometer to help monitor the temperature, and protecting your dashboard by putting a barrier between it and the baking sheet. (It should be at least 95 degrees outside and the baking process takes around two and a half hours.)

A great way to have homemade cookies in the dead heat of the summer!  I haven't tried it yet...but trust me I will soon.  I'm not even sure I will have to leave them in the car for 2.5 hours!
Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2010, all rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun thing to try. I'm sure it will be hot enough here in Tennessee soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will pass this on to teenage child. She will be needing something to do soon as school got out today. Should be fun although I think she should try it in her truck and not my car!

    ReplyDelete