Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thankful Thursday - My Mother's 'Junk'

Today I'm feeling most thankful for my mother's junk!  Margaret Troyer was one of those who seemed to keep everything - I have scrapbooks with newspaper clippings about people I've never heard about (mostly from Goshen, Indiana).  I have pictures of long lost relatives, friends she went to high school with, and unidentified people (at least a couple hundred).  There were graduation cards, birthday cards and corsages.   As frustrating as it can be to identify some items I'm very grateful for my mother's keeping them all - they link me to a time before I was.

My sister was here for a visit last weekend and we went through most of  mom's photos and scrapbooks.  We identified some pictures and items but the majority remain unidentified.

In our 'lookings' we came across this postcard which was mailed to my Grandmother Mary Motzko Troyer. The postmark looks like 1914 and Woodland California.  It's signed by Eloise, Eleanor, Elaine, or ?

Another thought - AMAZING the postage was only 1¢
On the picture side of the postcard I'm curious to know what the 2057 after the city means?  When I first looked at it I thought it was a year - but I told myself  'wait, that can't be a year it's only 2010!'  Then I thought a zip code but they didn't have zip codes in those days.

 
Col. 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2010, all rights reserved

1 comment: