Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Tuesday Treasure





This book has been passed down to me from my grandfather Troyer's side of the family. The print date is 1758.  It is written in German.  It's not in the best of shape - would you be if you were 252 years old?  I don't even want to think of that possibility!









According to Wikipedia:

Menno Simons (1496 – 31 January 1561) was a Dutch Anabaptist religious leader from the Friesland region of the Low Countries. Simons was a contemporary of the Protestant Reformers and his followers became known as Mennonites.  (Note from me: Mennonites were a religious or church group in eastern United States (Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc) - they are related to the Amish.  My grandfather Elmer Troyer and his ancestors were Mennonites)

© copyright 2010, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren
Before coming to me it was in the possession of my mother Margaret Troyer, her aunt Edith (Edie) Troyer Hatfied (Edie was my grandfather Elmer Troyer's sister), and Joseph and Elizabeth Troyer.  Elizabeth Troyer's parents were Yost and Elizabeth Schrock.



4 comments:

  1. Mary,
    Great old book -- especially interesting to me, as my Sigford/Siegfried ancestors were Mennonites in Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan - maybe we're not just 'kindred souls' but actually related - my Troyer family comes from that area and that religion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary ~
    Great picture!! I have a Bible of about that same age that looks remarkably similar to this book - exact same clasps etc. It belonged to the Saurer side of my family - who came to Ohio from Switzerland. Troyer is also a very common name in Wayne Co, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - I understand that my Troyer or Schrock ancestors started out in Switzerland - I've got info on them but have not gotten to them yet. Thanks for comment

    ReplyDelete