Sunday, March 6, 2011

Memories of Yost and Martha Schrock - part 14

Floyd Cripe was the 5th child (3rd birth), to Amos F. Cripe and Mary Jane Schrock.  Floyd married Grace Barthel.  He was the grandson of Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock.

Floyd Cripe Memories:

I scarely know just what this is all about.  All the information I received was by telephone.  For my impressions of Grandma Schrock, I can just remember of her funeral, and that funeral procession was as long as the lane.  When the hearse was at the road the buggies were just leaving the yard.  I also remember one time when we were there, I saw a paper addressed to Yost Schrock, and I asked who that was, as I knew him only by Grandpa Schrock.  Of course, most everyone remember his last buggy horse "Ben".

Clara and Charley Berkey lived with him several years, and I worked for them one summer.  I can recall several things that happened that summer, but they were not directly connected with Grandpa Schrock, only as I stayed there.

Milk Churn

Clara had me churning one day out in the old milk house, it was a barrel churn, and the lid came off.  You can guess what a mess that was on the brick floor.  Also I recall having several hard thunder storms.  At home we boys all slept in one room, and down there I was all alone.  She tacked blankets up at the windows, but the lightning still came in so she said I could go down and sleep with grandpa.  When I went in his room, he was on his knees praying and didn't hear me right away.  The experience I will not forget.

Also Charley would ask occasionally to return thanks at the table, (as he ate with us).  Now I could tell you this better than I can write it, as I don't know how to spell in German, but he always began like this  'Naiter Gaiter, and Bun-Hatsic a Fanter'.  I used to have it memorized but just do not recall anymore to make sense out of it.  But I think I have heard it said that he never prayed in public.  I think if you had Grandma's date of death, you would find I was quite young.  However, I do remember when Uncle John Zimmerman's lived there, and I think Clara and Charley followed them after they moved out.

(Editor's notes:  Clara and Charley Berkey - Clara was the daughter of Amos F. Cripe and Mary Jane Schrock. Grand-daughter of Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock

Uncle John Zimmerman was the husband of Clara Schrock (daughter of Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock)

Know anything about anyone mentioned in this post? Please contact me using the e-mail address to the right under my picture.

WHEW - this one was confusing as I got mixed up with the two Clara's!

Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2011, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment