Friday, March 25, 2011

Memories of Yost and Martha Schrock - part 18

LuLu Vandersten was married to William SchrockWilliam was the 9th child and youngest male child of Yost Y. and Martha (Plank) Schrock.

A TRIBUTE TO FATHER SCHROCK

Lulu (Vandersten) Schrock Reichert Memories:

You ask me to tell you some of my impressions of Father Schrock.  That is a big order for it is now more than 65 years since I first met him.  I do not remember just where or when that was but I do recall it was a strange meeting to me.  I was a mere snip of a girl yet in my teens, no heavy weight- 92 pounds - and here before me stood my future father-in-law, erect, smiling, long white bushy hair in barn door pants.  He extended his hand and his keen, dark eyes seemed to pierce me to the bone.

By my side stood his son, William, my beloved.  He spoke, "Father, this is Lulu, the girl I want to marry".  I was scared.  Father's eyes seemed to say, "I wonder what William wants with that speck of a girl, will she make him a good wife, can she bake, cook, sew, and so on?"

I was the youngest to be borne by marriage into the Schrock family.  For that reason I think I long felt fearful and timid, especially with Father.  When he once saw I could bake bread and make nice fat rolls of butter I began to feel I was gaining some respect.  That day before Sarah's funeral my mother and I baked pies nearly all day for Sunday dinner.  In those days many friends returned to the home after the burial.  We put the pies on a long table in the cellar.  I never saw so many pies in my life.  A week or so later Father called the children together one evening to straighten up accounts.  My name was on the list "To Lulu $1.75 for baking pies"  Goodness me!  I was shocked!  Such kindness.  I cried.  I wanted no pay and refused to take it and did only after much persuasion on the part of Em and Mary and Will.  Then I knew I was in good standing with Father and never doubted again.  A dollar and seventy-five cents did the trick.

After that it was always a joy to watch him think of and do acts of kindness for his children.  He was a good father indeed.  His many prayers offered for them and with them, surely can never be forgotten.  Those prayers were in Dutch.  I could not understand them but their sincerity was evident from the reverence paid them.  Fortunate indeed the children whose father sets such an example.

I enjoyed Father Schrock more and more as I knew him better and longer. There was a sparkle of wit in his eyes and a bunch of fun in his soul.  He loved his Lord and fulfilled His command, "to do justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with Thy God".  Thus he lived until the day he was called to be with the saints who from their labors rest.  Blessed be his memory!

By special request I narrate the following incident which was of much concern and thankfulness to both Mother and Father Schrock.

On a certain Saturday evening in early fall, son William, attired in his best, hitched Big Ben, a favorite horse, to the buggy, pursuant to a five mile trip eastward across town to go wooing a certain young lady who was expecting him that evening.  The sun had set and the sky darkened rapidly.  Hour after hour passed, 10, 11, 12 o'clock but no Lochinvar appeared (No telephones in those days.)  "Something surely happened.  We may know in the morning", thought she.

Sunday morning came - so did he, early.  But a different attire!  A different horse!  A different buggy!  The the story - said he,  "Last night I was driving along at the usual pace when I came to the mill race.  The top railing had somehow gotten diagonally over the bridge and the horse went straight into  the race submerging himself, buggy and me completely into the water.  Somehow I got to my feet and crawled up into the buggy top and jumped, landing on the bank.  I ran to the first house for a lantern - soon half of the town was there.  They got the horse and buggy out.  No damage done.  I jumped into buggy and hastened home into dry clothes.  Father rubbed Old Ben down and Mother cared for me.  This morn we seem no worse for the accident."

Sunday morning services were missed but many thanks were offered that day for the salvation of what might have been the death of a good man.

(Editor's Notes: Sarah is presumed to be Yost Schrock's sister; Em, Mary and Will are assumed to be Emma Schrock, Mary Jane Schrock, and William Schrock)
Know anything about anyone mentioned in this post? Please contact me using the e-mail address to the right under my picture.

Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2011, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Martha. I enjoy reading your blog, and I just read this post on Geneabloggers Daily. I noticed that you have ancestors named "Plank." In addition to a place called "Shrock" in Attala County, Mississippi, there is a cemetery in Carroll County, MS named "Old Plank Cemetery." I am wondering if some of your Plank family members may have lived in Mississippi, as well. Original Shrock settlers in Mississippi originated in Pennsylvania and were intermarried with the Fitler family (Fitler Square is named for this family) of Philadelphia, PA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I have passed on to you the One Lovely Blog Award. You can get your award at: http://aremyrootsshowing.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Enjoy, and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was checking back to see If I presented that award to you also and that maybe the comment has not shown up yet. I have a star by your name, I messed up big on my list I was keeping. Just ignore it then if I already have. Cause I see you have this one.

    ReplyDelete