Friday, March 18, 2011

Memories of Yost and Martha Schrock - part 16

Nona Mae Cripe was the 6th child (4th birth), to Amos F. Cripe and Mary Jane Schrock.  Nona married George Keim.  She was the grand-daughter of Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock.

Nona Cripe Keim Memories:

My earliest memories of the Grandfather Schrock farm are at Grandmother's funeral. When the folds were ready to leave for the church, Noble was missing.  In a hunting around buildings he was found down south at the house among the grape vines hiding as he didn't like to go to 'thimbles' as he called them.  He and I were not going but they did want to know where he was.  Many visits were made and good times had while Uncle John and Aunt Clara lived there and cared for Grandfather.  When Clara and Charley lived with him I remember going to Middlebury with my Dad and shopping in Shettles store.  I picked out calico for Clara to make my doll a dress.  She also trimmed a tea-matting sun bonnet for my doll.  What colors I chose, at least Mother thought it was awful.  I stayed there 2 days while she sewed for my doll.  I well remember seeing grandfather sitting in the big living room and how he did sing.  Never will forget the well kept hedge fences and the large apple trees and good apples.  Very proud to be of the Yost Schrock family and will try hard to live up to his principles.
 
(Editors Notes: Noble referred to in the paragraph was Nona's twin brother who died in 1910 at the age of 18 - another story, another time; Clara and Charley were Nona's older sister and her husband: Clara Cripe and Charles Berkey; Uncle John and Aunt Clara were Clara Schrock <Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock's daughter> and John Zimmerman (Clara Schrock's husband ).

Know anything about anyone mentioned in this post? Please contact me using the e-mail address to the right under my picture.
Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2011, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment