Friday, April 1, 2011

Follow-up on 2011 Goals/Resolutions

My April update on my 2011 goals/resolutions....It seems that with my Kindle I received for Chrismas from my kids that my genealogy research has been pushed to the back burner and I've become a reading freak again!  And with hubs sister being sick we are spending much time traveling back and forth to visit her. Please pray for her as it's terminal.  The Kindle comes in handy while hubs drives, I read.

My goals for the year and their current status:
  1. Read 5 chapters of the Bible daily -  ON TRACK:   I'm halfway through with Job.  Job is a much easier chapter in the Bible to read than the first several chapters. This is a hard goal to keep but I make it a top priority.                                                        
    2.  Read 2 books a month - ON TRACK: Since the first of January I've read:   
  •   O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi"   (January)
  •   Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden" (January) 
  •   Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre"  (February)
  •   L. M. (Lucy Maud) Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables"  (February)
  •   Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould's "The Amish Midwife" (March)
  •   Thomas Paine's "Common Sense"   (March)
  •   Leslie Gould's "Garden of Dreams"  (March)
  •   Patricia Davids' "Katie's Redemption"  (March)
  •   Cindy Woodsmall's "The Hope of Refuge" (March)
  •  Tracie Peterson's "A Dream to Call My Own" (March)
  •  Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" (March)
Three of the seven books read in March are Amish fiction.  My g-g-grandfather was raised Amish and then shunned by the Amish when he joined the Brethern Church. I'm reading these books trying to learn more of the ways and history behind how he and his ancestors lived.  Sort of genealogy related!

   3.  Volunteer in the school library - sort of ON TRACK 
currently working in the library, after I get off work, a day or two a week....but took a couple weeks off because of 'Spring Vacation' and 'short days' that involved parent/teacher conferences.

   4.  Research family info and blog a minimum of 3 days a week  -  Not doing too well on this
  • Was VERY excited when I received a response to January 27th blog from a 3rd cousin.  We both share the same g-g-grandparents...Yost and Martha Schrock. We are communicating via e-mail sharing our information.
  • I'm working on typing up the "Memories of Yost and Martha (Plank) Schrock (my maternal g-g-grandparents).  I am down to just one 'memory' to share and will be posting that next week.
  • I have had contact from my hubs cousin who has researched their grandmother back to her ancestors arriving on the Mayflower.   
   5.  Attend a genealogy convention - ON TRACK
  • went to AZ Family History Expo in Mesa AZ a few weeks ago.
  • Trying to squeeze in an online classes.
   6.  Get my zucchini to grow this year (last year I got none) -
bought 2 kinds of zucchini seeds and some crockneck squash plus some pumpkin seeds.  Got all the squash planted and will plant the pumpkin in a few months.  The plants have been fertilized, watered, and nutured.   Now all I have to do is pray it will grow!

   7.  More canning and freezing of fresh fruits and veggies (either grown by me or given to us by neighbor)

Received a ton of oranges, lemons, grapefruit from some friends.  Hubs is my 'squeezer' and an awesome job he does of it. Fresh orange juice and lemonaide all summer!  Will work on the spring crop of veggies and other fruit as they come in.

Bought a freezer from a friend - now my freezer part of the refrigerator won't be so jam packed.  Looking forward to putting the freezer to good use!

   8.  Walk more - Falling a little behind on this

...since hubs is not working and I've got a car everyday it's too easy to just hop in it and drive to work. 

Pray for my sis-in-law (hubs older sis) who has terminal cancer, diagnosed a couple months ago.  She is not doing chemo or radiation because of too many other medical issues.

Cried out to my Phoenix friends on facebook asking if anyone had a freezer they would like to sell, and low and behold I got a response and it's cheap and only three years old.  We get to have it end of April.  Oh the wonders of technology!

Made a couple trips to Long Beach CA to visit my sister-in-law (mentioned above), plus on the trip over spring break we were able to visit #1 and #2 sons, my sister, and go by my nephew and his wifes new coffee shop .

Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2011, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment