Saturday, January 15, 2011

SNGF - Ancestral Name List Roulette

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings usually gives us a "Saturday Night Genealogy Fun" challenge.  This week we are to:
 
1) How old is one of your grandfathers now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."

I picked my grandfather Elmer Troyer mainly because he was the only grandfather I ever knew and because he was more of a grandfather to me than my other grandfather could ever be.  Elmer was my mother's father.

Elmer Troyer was born on September 4, 1884.  If he were alive today he would be 126 1/2 years old.  Taking the 126 years and dividing by 4 puts me at 31 1/2.   I've rounded this down to 31 which now becomes my 'roulette number'.

2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person?

Number 31 on my genealogy software program is my mother's sister and my grandfather's youngest daughter - Dorothy Troyer Haines. (Dorothy is the bride in this picture, the bridesmaid is my mother)

3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number."
  • Dorothy was born April 5, 1913.  She was 4 years younger than her older sister.  Dorothy and Margaret were the only 2 children of Elmer and Mary (Motzko) Troyer
  • Dorothy was born in Modesto California, raised in Goshen Indiana, and died in Pomona California
  • Dorothy married William Oliver Haines on July 6, 1935.  They had 4 children, 21 grandchildren and if they were alive today they would have uncountable great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren.  (Someday I'll figure out how many!)
Mary Post Warren
© copyright 2011, all rights reserved, Mary Post Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment